Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Pentagon Memorial


Officially dedicated this morning, open to the public starting this evening.

The Washington Post has a nice microsite with stories, video, and a virtual tour of the memorial. My impression is of a thoughtful and understated tribute; a lot of the concepts behind the design of the space and the spare-looking benches are elegant and very, very moving. I look forward to seeing it for myself.

I was startled to read "seven years ago" in describing today's anniversary. Not to indulge the 'how quickly time passes' cliché, especially given how much has transpired since 2001, but the memory does seem fresh enough that I'm floored to realize that three of the Pentagon memorial's youngest honorees, the eleven-year-old passengers on Flight 77, would have just started college.

No comments: